Second-Hand Summer Capsule Wardrobe Challenge
One of the things we are most excited about as we launch Less, Please! is the opportunity to converse and collaborate with YOU as we share what we're working on and thinking about. So, we wanted to kick things off with an invitation to join us in a little challenge that we've taken on.
Capsule wardrobes are cool. But one of the most common hesitations I've heard to trying one is the concern that stocking a capsule with versatile, quality clothes that will pull their weight in a minimalist wardrobe is going to break the bank. Thinking about that concern and a growing awareness of the ethical human and environmental implications that our shopping choices carry, we decided take on the challenge of adding only second-hand clothing as we compose our Summer capsule wardrobes.
Shopping second-hand gives us the opportunity to:
- Save on high-quality brands that we probably wouldn't otherwise buy.
- Support local thrift stores that benefit charities. (Like this awesome one in my neighborhood.)
- Keep clothes out of landfills while there is still life in them.
- Resist the pull of consumerism and the disposable clothing culture.
These are the parameters that we set for ourselves.
- Because we are both stay-at-home moms with a limited need for variety in our wardrobes, we're limiting our wardrobes to 33 items including shoes and accessories.(excluding lounge/athletic wear that we don't wear elsewhere in public)
- Any items that are new-to-us this season must be purchased second-hand (or gifted).
If this is just the nudge you needed and you want to join us in the challenge, feel free to make your own rules that work for you! Summer is a great time to try out a capsule wardrobe or challenge yourself to shop second-hand because of its casual nature and limited need for clothing (It's already steadily in the 90's here in Birmingham!).
Participate in the conversation and share your second-hand finds on Instagram by tagging #secondhandsummerchallenge ! We will be sharing second-hand shopping tips and resources as well as our own second-hand capsule finds over the next week or so. Until then!